Sunday, October 12, 2008

Saturday nightlife

Last night, just about the time when I'm normally thinking about winding down and getting ready for bed (yes, I know I'm getting old!), I drank a cup of coffee instead--to keep me going for a few more hours. Then Bob and I headed across town to the Felix I restaurant. Once-a-month the couple's of the Central Bible Church meet there for a meal and a program. Henry and Blanca, a Dominican couple, head up the couple's ministry, and graciously invited us to teach with them this year. The restaurant is a neutral place where husbands who are uncomfortable coming to church feel at ease. The free meal is also a draw. The usual crowd is 70-80 people.

We're in the middle of a series on finances at present. The two-hour program last night included a video, a PowerPoint presentation, and group discussion. Group discussion is lively among Dominicans. It's a challenge for us to teach in Spanish, but it's slowly getting easier. (Thanks for your prayers!) We try to bring in humorous stories about our personal conflicts. We talked last night about the peace and freedom we have in our home because we have a budget. Bob, who will wear his clothes for 20 years--until I throw them away--often used to complain when I would buy new clothes. Now it's in the agreed-upon budget. He can't complain as long as I stay in the limits!

Finally, we ate about 10 p.m. --not an unusual dinner hour for Dominicans. The monthly meetings require a lot of preparation, but the interaction is great. Today we are a bit tired, but Bob is not too tired to play basketball this afternoon. I'll tell you about the basketball ministry in another post.

No comments: